Thursday, January 15, 2004

Whew! It is with great relief that I write I survived pre-court. I'm not sure how I missed the fact that this court also involves going to court and is actually a preliminary court. It was not until last night when Olga and Assia came to my apartment to prepare me that I realized just what pre-court is. It's probably best I didn't know beforehand that I would go to court twice. Olga and Assia did a wonderful job preparing me. We went over all the questions that the judge would ask and the general way I should answer. So, after they left, I was of course nervous. And I don't even have something good and mindless such as Survivor to occupy my mind.

Well, this morning I got up to face my daily dragon - that shower. I will not use my full personal description of the shower because kids and preachers might be reading this. :-) Well, the shower had a whole new surprise for me today. No water from the shower. Actually, I noticed when I brushed my teeth that there was almost zero water pressure and sure enough, when I went to turn on the shower, water came from the tub but switching to the shower? Nada. I waited awhile - just in case there was some kind of shower miracle that might occur. I'm sure you guessed though - that did not happen. Honestly, if it had been any day other than court day, I would have probably done without but since it was court I simply had to get more creative. So, I had my "shower" from under the tub. Let me just say - quite the contortionist am I. :-) At least the water temperature stayed consistent!!

Igor picked me up at 9:45 and we drove to pick up Assia. We had to take a detour because right around the corner they were doing some kind of utility construction (and I now strongly suspect this was the reason for no water pressure today). The funny thing was we had to park on a different side of the street and Assia could not see us. Igor honked that horn for like 5 minutes. He and I were laughing so hard. Poor Assia was just looking around. It was like a scene from Candid Camera. She could hear but not see us.

Next up? Court! The court building seems relatively new (at least on the inside). We sat in a waiting room (Assia studied for her final exam which is later today). Eventually, Olga, the baby house director, and one of the ladies from the ministry of education also arrived. We were called in to a large room. The judge was sitting at large desk at one end of the room. Immediately in front of him sat a woman I believe to be a secretary. Assia and I sat in chairs facing the judge. Behind us at a very large table sat Olga, the baby house director, and the ministry lady.

The judge basically asked me all the questions Olga said he would. My voice sounded calm but I assure you I was nervous. This judge was the definition of stern. Not even the faintest hint of a smile and he scarecely even looked directly at me. First I had to state what my requests of the court were. They were:
1. To adopt Zhansaule.
2. To change her name to Abigail Emma Green.
3. To keep her date and place of birth unchanged.
4. To be recorded as her mother.

I was afraid I would forget one of these but I remembered them all. I then answered all his questions. He probably asked me 5 or 6 questions total. His one concern was the fact that my mom (who would be Abby's guardian should anything happen to me) lived in Italy. Ok, this was funny to me. As most of you probably know, my mother lives in Rome, Georgia, but apparently when they translated my dossier to Russain, they left out the Georgia part. Sorry mom, but he also wanted to know how old you are. :-) Anyway, it took a couple of attempts to clear up the GA vs. Italy thing, but after that the baby house director talked and then ministry lady talked. Assia translated for me what they were saying. A Reader's Digest account for you: They covered Abby's health, the fact that they searched for her birth mother but could not find her, and that my visits with Zhansaule (Abby) have had a positive effect on her. The judge also took several pictures of Abby alone and Abby with me from the photo album I provided and he kept them.

All in all it was relatively fast (though seemed to last forever) but in the end the judge announced court will be on January 21 at 4:00pm! Sadly, I didn't get to visit Abby this morning because of court but I do get to go this afternoon!

So, on to the most important topic - Abby. Yesterday afternoon's visit was very good! We played and she was very hungry for cheerios. Assia and I just laughed because Abby couldn't eat them fast enough. We are both doing great and her top 2 teeth are almost all the way in now. It is so cute - especially when she eats her cheerios because she chews them right in front.

While I look forward so much to the day we are home, I am also trying to soak up every minute of this trip. Sometimes the days are very slow (the times when I am not with Abby) but I am finding new ways to occupy myself. When I am listening to the radio, I make up what they are singing based on how it sounds in English. One of my very favorite songs sounds like this in English:

There is mustard on the table.
There is mustard on the table.
There is mustard on the table.
Go! Get it now.

Another favorite song sounds like this in English:
I met Jessica Simpson.
She is Jessica Simpson.
Let's see her now.

The melodies are what I really love but for all I know they could be singing about stomping kittens. I may need to try to buy a CD or 2 while here.

It was one week ago today I arrived in Uralsk. One week ago today I met Abby. One week from today we will be back in Almaty. I can not wait for all of you to meet this amazing baby. Her smile will melt even the hardest heart. Those of you who do not live near Atlanta simply must plan a visit to the south. Or we will visit you. By the time we get home, she will be quite the little traveler. Take care everyone! :-)